Oh this is just one of my very favorite books! Robert McCloskey has written some delightful children’s books and this morning I happened upon this biography about him. We rowed this title two years ago when R7 was in kindergarten and I-5 was just three. Boy does time fly! Well I just feel that I-5 needs to row this one and R7 wanted to come along for the fun. No problem! The setting is Boston and this will give us a chance to visit that town again and learn a few more things about its history (you may remember we finished rowing Paul Revere’s Ride just a few weeks ago). In fact, one of our go along books is Sleds on Boston Common by Louise Borden. Back when E9 was at the local school, she was a guest at the school so we met her and enjoyed her presentation.
This week we will:
- Monday- review the location of Boston (co-op day so it is a light day with just an overview of the setting)
- Tuesday- MA flag, seal, and of course the capital Boston- mapping activity on the city of Boston, rhyming words for Language Arts
- Wednesday- being appreciative, vocabulary, Caldecott medal, art- speed and water lines, research and prep (Mr. McCloskey actually bought ducks and had them in his apt so he could watch them and draw them well)
- Thursday- counting, grouping/multiplication, converting days to weeks
- Friday- Animal Parenting, ducks (incubation and other duck facts), conservation
I-5’s counting page- we tallied up how many ducks appeared in the book. It sure was a lot especially after the ducklings arrived!