This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
I’m pretty excited to announce that North Star Geography is now available as an online course! Not only is this a fantastic one credit high school curriculum, but now you can take advantage of an online format.
Earn High School Credit with North Star Geography
North Star Geography is a one year course for middle and high school students which is robust enough to earn one high school credit in geography. Each of the 16 lessons include:
- Reading from the Text– Students will read from the book. In the case of the online course, you will receive an ebook and the audio verson.
- Activities on Each Topic– There are all kinds of activities from hands on to more research oriented items. There are so many activities, you’ll have many left over. I love that there’s something for every sort of learner.
- Atlas Building– Students will build a world atlas as they proceed through the curriculum
- Notetaking Sheets– for practice taking notes from the text or the audio.
- Quizzes, Tests, & Practices– There are frequent quizzes and a final exam.
- Reference Materials– Such as maps, graphic organizers, glossary, grading rubrics, and report cards
Benefits of an Online Geography Course
What can you can expect from North Star Geography as an online experience? Here are a few of the benefits:
- Lessons are Self Paced– Though the program allows for various timeline scenarios, using the online course means no live teaching and your student can work through it on his own schedule.
- Communication from the Author– Tyler Hogan is enthusiastic about geography (this is probably understated!) and if you get stuck or have questions, you can message him.
- Engage with Other Students– It’s nice to get the perspective of peers rather than other adults all the time. You can discuss things with other students in the comment area of each lesson.
- Automatic Grading- Of quizzes & tests which is immediate and they can be retaken as often as necessary.
This is definitely a homeschool mom’s helper! Using North Star Geography as an online course is a great way to ease into online learning in other areas.
Learn More about North Star Geography
We’ve been using North Star Geography in our homeschool since it was first released. Last year, I paired it with earth science for our high schoolers and it was an excellent fit. Still today, we use the text book as a reference point for all things geography. Here are a few posts on how North Star Geography has worked for us.
Teaching Geography with Earth Science– How we paired North Star Geography with CK-12 Earth Science for High School.
Trail Planning Using Topographic Quadrangle Maps– A project we did using topographic map skills from our studies of geography and earth science.
Resources for Teaching Human Geography– A look at the ways we approached human geography with the bonus of a new card game offered by Bright Ideas Press (with a special discount for Blog, She Wrote readers!)