The Purpose of Blog, She Wrote
My name is Heather Woodie and this blog is the online home of Peregrine Hollow Academy, our homeschool in upstate NY.
- I started Blog, She Wrote in April, 2007 to share with our families far away the things we were doing in our homeschool.
- Since then I have found a niche in sharing with others our brand of independent & authentic homeschooling.
- I especially love to encourage homeschooling families in embracing the non-conventional route to educating children.
I am a homeschooling mom of four children ranging in ages from 19 to 12 with some other experiences in the world of education.
- BS in Biological Sciences
- MS in Curriculum and Instruction Secondary Education.
- Taught middle and high school biology & general science in the Maryland public school system for five years prior to having children.
- Developed curriculum and staff development for faculty
- Homeschooling mom for 11 years
- Write curriculum for our children based on their interests and styles of learning
Why Do We Homeschool?
We began homeschooling in January of 2005 when our oldest child was half way through first grade. Homeschooling was not our plan from the beginning, but we quickly realized that a public school setting could not accommodate our son. You can read more about why we chose to homeschool in How Does a Public School Teacher End Up Homeschooling?
Posts I Want You to Read
These are posts which define who we are as homeschoolers and who I am as a blogger. Take the time to read and stick around for more!
- The Ultimate Guide to Establishing a Reading Culture in Your Homeschool
- Essential Elements of a Home Learning Environment
- How to Make a Four Year Homeschool High School Plan
- Earning Credits with a Project Based High School
- Strategies for Scheduling High School
- How to Use Current Events in Your Homeschool
- Organizing Your Homeschool Library
- Top 10 Toys for Open Ended Play
Popular Pages from Blog, She Wrote
- High School Help
- Geography Quests
- How to Homeschool with a Kindle
- The Ultimate Guide to Teaching Sewing in Your Homeschool
- Managing the Internet in Your Home
- The Ultimate Guide to Coaching Writers in Your Homeschool
- On Reading
Other Services I Provide
Subscribe for Ideas, Lessons, and High School Help
Please take the time to subscribe, so you don’t miss helpful tips and ideas. You’ll receive the eBooks- How to Engage Your Teens with Books- A Homeschooler’s Guide to Reading with Teens, 100 Books You Should Read by the Time You Turn 20, Geography Quest- the Printable, and a printable pack to go with Gregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew Peas.
I hope you will find encouragement here as well as many practical tips!