I was given the curriculum materials and compensated for my time in writing this post. The opinions are my own and I was not required to give a positive review.
Music education is not one of the hallmarks of our homeschool here at Blog, She Wrote. While we meet our state requirements for music in elementary and middle school, our kids are not musicians. My husband sings a sweet tenor in our church choir and our daughter participates with him- a choir full of extraordinary musicians. Our younger boys sing seasonally and Isaac made a dulcimer which is accessible enough for him to play. Given our limited exposure to music education, I was excited to learn more about Zeezok Publishing’s curriculum Music Appreciation for the Elementary Grades so that we could approach composers and music appreciation with all of our students.
Elementary Music Appreciation Kit
Music Appreciation for the Elementary Grades is a book set with extra items for learning more about each composer and the type of music he created. Each complete set comes with:
- One student activity book- Full additional stories, information, and activities for each composer
- 7 Composer Biographies- Stories with young reader friendly text and written music to match the music CDs
- Music CDs- For each composer’s music to go along with the biographies.
- Lapbook CD- To print items for the lapbook students can make.
Benefits of Using Music Appreciation for the Elementary Grades
This set of books and music CDs is a thorough look at composers and their music from 1625-1828. Our family enjoyed getting to know the origin of some of the classical music they enjoy. How can this music program enhance your homeschool?
- Includes a tidy package of living books and the music of each composer
- Helps supply your Charlotte Mason music appreciation studies
- Comes in a complete unit study format
- Engages students in science
- Pulls in recipes from each time period for your family to try
- Introduces your children to biographies
- Provides lapbooking hands on time to use during listening time
- Covers basic music theory
- Introduces larger musical terms to children
- Shares historical timelines of musical composers
- Makes implementation easy with 4 week outlines for each composer
- Incorporates subjects outside music
- Helps kids to learn European geography
- Includes relevant current or cultural events which tie in to the composers- can you guess whose music plays on the Voyager probe?
- Provides elementary music education and appreciation through music history
- Lets students listen to great compositions by influential composers
We had a great time focusing on the story of the composer while enjoying some activities on the side. Of course, you know we are a science family, so it was fun to try out the science matching the story of the composer.
Connect with Zeezok Publishing
You can follow along and make connections with Zeezok Publishing through social media:
Another way to connect with Zeezok Publishing is at a homeschool convention this season. Conventions are a great place to view curriculum in person before you buy it. They will be at the following conventions yet to come this year:
- Great Homeschool Conventions – Cincinnati, Ohio on April 9-11
- Christian Homeschool Association of Pennsylvania (CHAP) – Harrisburg, PA on May 8-9
Perhaps you’ve already seen that Zeezok curriculum received two 2015 Practical Homeschooling Magazine awards!
- 1st Place Music Appreciation – Great Musician Series (the biographies the curriculum is based on)
- 2nd Place Music Appreciation – Music Appreciation for the Elementary Grades
Music Appreciation Discount & Giveaway
Through April 10, 2-15, there is a 10% discount on all products in the music appreciation category. Use the coupon code ihomeschool15 to receive your discount.