I received this product as part of a review and I was compensated for my time. I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions are my own. Thanks!
When my four kids were younger, I would prepare for summer by gathering together fun adventures for them. The older they get, the more free time they can handle on their own but I still like to surprise them with a fun and unexpected activity. They were pretty excited to try out a 3D pen. How do you prepare for summer time with your kids? How about some 3D Pen Craft for Summer Fun!
The I DO 3D Vertical kit in a box comes with the tools you need to get started in 3D art:
- 4 pens- in red, blue, green, and black
- Light- which attaches to the pens (and the light comes powered with batteries)
- Small Mat- for a working surfaces for your sculpting
- Instructions- for how to get started and when to use the light
- Guide Map- to trace shapes and ideas that you can connect in 3D later
- Building Accessories- like a rounded bowl for making things in a sphere shape
You can learn more about the product by watching the video below.
3D Art Skills
It does take some practice to get results with a 3D art pen. After all, it’s an art medium like anything else and building a sculpture takes time! You’ll also want to prepare your space for the job. Here are some tips we came up with to lend a hand:
- Get ready for a mess– the polymer is sticky and gooey. Make sure to place a mat down on your surface first. We used wax paper because it’s readily available and easy to grab. Also, wash your hands (hand sanitizer works best)! I’m leading off with this because if crafting makes you nervous, it’s best to go in knowledgeable!
- Practice dispensing the polymer 2D first– The kit comes with designs you can “trace” with your pen. Get the hang of dispensing without building up. You can even connect the 2D tracings together in 3D when you are ready. Making sure you have an even hand at dispensing is helpful when it’s time to go 3D.
- Build 3D by extruding the polymer while the light is on– That’s how it’s going to harden and stay in your 3D sculpture shape.
- Watch some tutorial videos– There are more tips on how to be successful by watching the videos.
- Be patient– And have fun practicing! The more you do, the better you get and the more amazing your sculptures will become.
Benefits of 3D Pen Craft Art
3D Art is popular these days with 3D printers available. Everyone wants to try their hand at drawing in 3D.
- Provides summer exposure to a new art medium– Summer is time to play! It’s also a time to try new things it’s fun to double up on the experiences of play and art.
- Creative activity in a box– There’s very little prep. Basically, you just need to define and prepare the space you want to work in and you are set. That’s a win!
- Summer Boredom Buster– It’s easy to pull out and try with a group of kids for an afternoon
- Easy Clean Up– I put down wax paper and once it was all back in the box, the paper was rolled up and thrown out. Clean up finished!
- Open Ended Creativity– There are no rules and it’s a fun way to encourage kids to play and experiment with art.
I Do 3D Go- Moving Art
In addition to building 3D stationary objects, we’ll have the opportunity to get those pieces of art moving with motors that you can build your creations onto. Of course, this encourages an extra layer of fun on a summer day!
Connect with IDO3D
You can find more information on 3D Art from IDO3D on social media. You can learn about new products and art ideas by following along.
3D Pen Giveaway
IDO3D is giving away three of the Vertical Kits! Follow the directions within the giveaway and enter the drawing. Good luck!