Welcome to post sponsor, WriteWell! I received the opportunity to use Write Well in exchange for this post and I was compensated for my time. I was not required to write a positive reviw.
Many families look for ways to incorporate technology into their homeschools. Whether it’s videos, tutorials, reading, or other more technical forms, we all want our kids to be ready for a technology saturated environment. Part of that is using tools that make our work more efficient or can help with instruction in a specific way. Using WriteWell App for Homeschool Writing is an overview of how to use this software technology to help with student writing.
Reasons to Use Technology with Writing Instruction
Though we want our students to be familiar and comfortable with technology, some families are unsure of the value when it comes to all areas of instruction. Here’s a few reasons technology and writing are a good match.
- Appeals to a Technology Oriented Generation– Several of my kids prefer to compose their writing on the computer vs writing it out first.
- Makes It Easy to Organize Thoughts– The right software helps kids to get their ideas together.
- Multiple Students Can Work– It’s not just for one student. More than one student can format and save information using software like a word processor.
- Work on the Go– Sometimes schedules make us school on the go and it’s easy to take the technology with us and continue work in a mobile format.
WriteWell App for Homeschool Writing
WriteWell is a membership site devoted to helping students compose writing using their online tools.
- Basic Plan– This plan is free forever and it’s a great route for visitors who want to try out WriteWell. With just a couple of clicks, you can access over 40 templates based on age and type of writing. Students can create a total of two documents on this plan.
- Pro Plan– Allows a user to make unlimited documents with all the templates available for just $5/ month or $50 a year.
- Group Plan– Perfect for families with several children, this plan allows a parent to add 5 students. Each student will get their own access to the writing templates and can create an unlimited number of documents for $8/month or $80 a year.
Benefits of Using WriteWell App for Homeschool Writing
It’s easy to get started with WriteWell, so be sure to give the free trial a go. Once you are set up with an account, you’ll get to see the options within the program.
- Choose a grade level– Whatever the age and ability of your writer, you’ll find a set of templates for them.
- Make a template choice– There are 40 templates available such as science lab reports, narrative essays, five paragraph essays among others.
- Look over the template design– Each template is designed to give your student visual cues as to the amount and type of writing involved.
- Use the prompts– Each section within the template will provide a prompt to your student to get them started on the task. Our 10th grader, Rebecca, chose to plan a project she is working on for her Sewing & Design course. When she clicked to begin writing the introduction to her project plan, it prompted her with questions to answer.
- Join together the pieces– to make a complete writing assignment.
The unique thing about WriteWell is the digital and visual helps it gives the student as they work through a writing project. Think of WriteWell as a technology assisted pre-writing tool.
My high school sophomore’s favorite parts of the app are:
- Separate Sections for Paragraphs– The app provides a visual separation for your paragraphs as you work.
- Drag & Drop – The sections to rearrange your writing as you revise your work.
- Easy Switch Back & Forth– between the various sections for your writing as you write.
- Intuitive to learn & Easy to Learn– She didn’t have any problem starting out and getting going.
Giveaway and Discount to WriteWell
Use the code BTS20 for a 20% discount on the WriteWell App. In addition to the discount, you can win one of fifteen Pro Memberships! The giveaway ends at 11:00 pm EDT on October 21, 2015.by