Shark Week is coming! I don’t know who made up Shark Week, but the hype is sorta fun and as a homeschool blogger it provides a fun set of topics. Shark Week has been moved to next week (the first week of July this year) to coincide with the release of the new Jaws movie. We’re about to be swept up into a wave of shark madness! Sharks also give me a fantastic excuse to bring alive my idea of Science Quests here at Blog, She wrote. The first stop is Science Quest: Shark Edition.
Sharks are a special sort of fish. Do your kids know how sharks are classified?
- What is the classification down to family?
- Research the animals closely related to sharks.
- How many species of sharks are there?
Biology of Sharks
Characteristics of fish and sharks
- How do sharks get oxygen?
- How is swimming related to the way sharks breathe?
- What is special about shark teeth?
- How are sharks designed to live in their habitat?
- What do sharks eat?
- Sharks are classified as a fish- what makes them different from other fish?
Habitat is the environmental and ecological area where an organism lives. It encompasses the biome and ecosystem and everything in them.
- Where do sharks live?
- Which zone to sharks thrive in?
- Do sharks live all over the world?
- If you wanted to catch a glimpse of a shark in its natural habitat, where is the best place to go?
You might want to research a particular species of shark. Find out all you can about it and share it with your family. We like to share findings at dinner time. Does your family have a special time to share research?
Shark Art with Sharks Volume 2 from Hodgepodge
Tricia and Nana are at it again with a new volume of Sharks in chalk pastels!
Price through today July 1, 2015 is $5.99.
If you missed out on last year’s Sharks ebook, then you will love the Shark Bundle. The bundle is $12.99 and includes twenty shark lessons. These ebooks come with art lessons, information on sharks, and a video tutorial.
The Summer Bundle is $19.99 and includes Art at the Beach along with Sharks and Sharks 2. Lots of summer art fun!
Shark Week Resources
Sharks make a great summer unit study, don’t you think?
Shark Week at the Discovery Channel– Pretty sure these guys invented Shark Week. You will find shows and all sorts of shark information.
Sharks in the News– As it happens, NC has seen it’s sixth shark attack in a month. This is a great current event to discuss right now.
Enjoy a fun summer week of shark lessons and art!