What is Homeschool Consulting?
The chance to speak with a seasoned homeschooler and educator in a Skype or Google Hangout format (or by phone) and get more time and tailored information than a blog comment or email response can provide.
Who Can Benefit from Homeschool Consulting?
There are a few reasons you might want a consulting session regardless of how long you’ve been homeschooling.
- Preparing to or Teaching High School– Taking on high school at home can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be difficult.
- New to Homeschooling– Advice for families just starting out from how to know the law to how to get started no matter your level of experience.
- Beginning Homeschooling When a Child Has Been in School– Starting to homeschool after a student has spent time in conventional classrooms presents a unique challenge. We started homeschooling when our oldest was half way through first grade.
- Veteran Homeschoolers Looking to Make a Change– We are an eclectic homeschooling family with a focus on using applied skills in a variety of authentic activities specific to our students. I also develop a lot of courses for our kids based on their interests and style of learning. I can help you do this with your homeschool in mind.
- Specific Question with the Desire for a Detailed Answer– Responding to email and blog comments can be time consuming and leave you with more questions. Blog posts to address your question may be weeks out in the queue and take time to create. A consulting session can offer families the opportunity to get one on one advice from a seasoned educator and homeschooler.
- New York Homeschooler– Who may need advice on reporting on the curriculum you’ve chosen within the state guidelines
- College Application Process– Meet to discuss how to get started, what teens need, and how to navigate the process.
What to Expect from a Consultation
Once you’ve decided to pursue a consultation, there are a few steps to take along with some information I will need in order to be ready for our meeting.
- Contact me– via email and we’ll work out the details for a meeting time and payment
- Provide me with some information– I will ask you to tell me about your homeschool and what you would like help with.
- I’ll prepare– by reading the information you’ve given me and putting together some resources and the answers to your questions.
- We’ll meet– and have a one hour discussion. You can take notes and I will make note of additional questions and suggestions for you.
- Follow up email– After we meet, I’ll send along a summary of our time together along with any links and suggestions for resources for you.
- What else? – I’ll also give you the opportunity to clarify or ask more questions. If it’s a quick answer, I’ll send it over. If it is a longer explanation, then we can talk about another consultation session.
The hourly rate includes the preparation time and my follow up in addition to the hour we spend in conversation.
The Consulting Session & Fees
If you want to set up a session, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll set up an initial one hour consult time using your technology of choice.
- Initial one hour session is $50/hour– this may be all you need.
- Follow up sessions are available for the hourly rate.
- Work prepared between sessions will be billed at the same rate should you request a sample plan or other work beyond just preparing normally for our consultation session..
- Payments can be made through PayPal.
Educational Consulting for Curriculum Writers
If you are a curriculum provider, I can provide consulting services both as a homeschool mom and a professional educator. I hold a BS in Biological Sciences and a MS in Curriculum & Instruction Secondary Education.
I taught biology and general science in public school for five years where I secured grants for educational experiences, developed curriculum, and provided staff development for faculty.
As a homeschool mom, I have written much of our curriculum and have been homeschooling for 13 years.
Professionally, my expertise lies in science education. If you need feedback on curriculum development in any subject area, my new focus is on the homeschooling family. I can help you with writing & adapting curriculum for the homeschool market.
Why does a curriculum writer need a consultation?
- Receive tips on adapting curriculum materials to family sized classes.
- Consult with a science educator on content for your program.
- Hear advice on working with the homeschool market.
- Understand how to work with gifted learners in a home environment
- Use project based ideas in your curriculum.
Email me at email@example.com for information on curriculum consulting fees.
What Others Are Saying about Consulting Sessions
I have had the privilege of speaking to many homeschools moms from around the world. It’s always a pleasure to get to know another homeschool and speak words of encouragement along with some tailored advice based on my experience and expertise.
Thank you so much for the consultation yesterday! Thank you for fitting me into your busy schedule and for the tips and guidance! – S.L., new homeschooling parent in NY
It was a pleasure to speak with you too, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with younger moms like me, it’s precious for us. – N.R., homeschool mom of 3, Canada
It was a pleasure talking with you today, your knowledge, ideas and resources gave me a boost. – C.F. – homeschooling mom of a high schooler
If you have any questions about a consultation, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’d be happy to lend a hand.