We’re making nature study simple with a Nature Journal Calendar. This is the home of all the calendars for 2016 which will be transitioned to use year round no matter what year it is. Feel free to use the calendar as a prompt for nature study no matter what the year.
How to Use the Nature Journal Calendar
There’s no right or wrong way to use the nature journal calendar. Here are a few tips:
- Download your printable calendar.
- Print the calendar.
- Use the prompts both on the calendar and below to explore some elements of nature in September.
- Draw or write your observations in the blank calendar squares. That’s why there are so many blank spaces- so you don’t feel pressured to do a million things and so that you have room to doodle it up right on the calendar.
- Put them together in a notebook or handmade book and wait for next month and a new calendar.
- Have fun!
Supplies for Nature Exploration
It doesn’t take much to enjoy the outdoors, but you might want to have a few things on hand. Know your kids and what they like best. Choose the items that will make your outings the most fun.
- Field Guides– of all kinds like birds, mammals, insects, flowers, and trees. You can take a moment to learn what something is right away or make a drawing or take a picture to look it up later.
- Dichotomous Keys– Great for noticing detail and narrowing down specimens by observing traits.
- Collection Vials– these can be Rubbermaid containers or other household items
- Camera– You can take pictures of your favorite finds and identify them or draw them back at home
- Journal– for drawing and making notes
- Pencil– for taking notes and sketching
- Watercolor Pencils– for easy watercolors on the go. Make the drawing and do the water at home.
- Travel Watercolor Set– My daughter has two sizes and uses a water brush with them.
- Binoculars– to get a close up look at something far away
Calendars by Month
Below are listed all the calendars which have already been published. You can look for the new calendars on the first of every month. Each post contains the calendar download with ideas for exploration and space for recording along with literature ideas, nature books to go along with that month, and extra nature exploring ideas.