Welcome to the new Blog, She Wrote on WordPress! I had no idea when I began blogging in April of 2007 that I would one day outgrow the Blogger format. I started out learning all on my own and with the help of many blogging friends providing direct and indirect advice, my blog began to mature. In fact, it’s six years later and I’ve written over 1300 posts with a lot of content to share! Not to mention my blog has had some aesthetic changes over the years with two makeovers while preserving a definite branding with the Lansbury font and typewriter. Some of my readers are probably too young to remember the show, Murder She Wrote, but I’m a huge fan.
Eventually, it became obvious that to keep Blog, She Wrote relevant I needed to up my game and get on board with social media- if I wanted the blog to continue to grow. Of course it’s always been my desire to encourage homeschoolers and that means of course I want my reach to keep growing! I’ve been getting to know Twitter and Facebook since last April and I’m delighted to now include those feeds here in my sidebar and for those of you who do not use either, you’ll be able to see a snippet of life “off blog”. I use Instagram and Twitter quite a bit to share moments in our day and that feeds the Facebook page. You can click on the Twitter links and just see a picture too- that means you Moms and Dads! If you haven’t liked the Blog, She Wrote facebook page, take a minute to do that now. We’d love your company in our conversations there!
My husband Dan gave me the sweetest gift ever this Christmas and offered to help me manage the move to WordPress and to be my blog IT guy- a huge move for him as he’d previously preferred to be a silent moral supporter and diligent reader with less tangible ties to the actual blogging!
The switch is complete and I hope everyone who subscribes has found their feeds now pointing to www.blogshewrote.org. If that’s not the case, please let me know. You also have the option to subscribe again if the feed is troublesome. We’ve worked hard to make sure the transition is seamless and we want to be sure your reading routine is uninterrupted by the move!
Finally, what will you find new here now that I’m on WordPress?
- streamlined labels and tags which make the content much easier to find
- menus at the top of the blog with drop downs and pages/links- you’ll see that some of the menus have sub-menus in the drop downs. Fun!
- less cluttered sidebar– but well designed menus which will take you to a lot of featured content. I went back to a two column blog design to keep things simple.
- more fun engaging on social media since it’s all a lot easier to manage on WordPress. You’ll notice I’ve added Google+ to the sidebar.
- newly featured content in the menus at the top– take a closer look please! I took the time to see what readers enjoy most and tried to make sure everything that best represents our homeschooling is there
- Speaker Information– I am available for speaking and have outlined my areas of experience and expertise.
- About– a more comprehensive about menu tells readers how we started homeschooling and what we are about in our homeschool.
The goal in streamlining and reorganizing my content is to help seasoned and new readers access the best of six years worth of blogging! I will be adding to the menus above as new content is created and I’m still adding items that fit right now. For example, I get a lot of questions about Life of Fred math and I will be adding a post/page about how we use Fred and it will go under the math menu at the top. There are still a few items missing that I’ll be adding back as well. Just know that we are still tweaking things a bit and you might see some additions from time to time.
I hope you will continue to find practical help here at Blog, She Wrote. I am so excited about the reorganization and the menu items. I’ve even integrated articles from guest writing at Heart of the Matter. Hopefully, all together, you’ll be able to find homeschool help and encouragement much more easily now- from old posts to the newest posts.
Thank you for being a Blog, She Wrote reader! If you have suggestions or particular post requests, please leave a comment. If you find something is missing that you used to enjoy, let me know. I’d love to hear from you!