Disclosure: For review purposes, I received use of this online learning resource and I was compensated for my time. The opinions in this review are mine and I was not required to write a positive review.
It’s always fun to find a new resource to lend a hand when it comes to teaching middle and high school at home. Standard Deviants Accelerate offers a variety of subject areas to come along side you as you help your secondary students to reach their academic goals.
What is Standard Deviants Accelerate?
SDA offers homeschoolers a complete online core curriculum supplement. You can expect to find some common features within each subject:
- Video– Each video has a transcript for your student to follow along with dynamic, young people and modern references. You can even take notes.
- Vocabulary– There are key terms for each chapter. You can click to hear the word and listen to the definition.
- Diagram– You’ll find drag and drop puzzles to round out the instruction along with diagrams and explanations which are animated and require interaction.
- Quizzes– These are filled out online and submitted for a grade. You also have a print option.
- Written Answer– Otherwise known has short answer and essay questions
- Parent Account– So, that you can monitor your student’s progress. Each student signed up for the course uses an account as well.
- Student Account– I love the feature that allows students to message the parents to let them know they need help. With some of our students working so independently, this is a great way to stay connected easily. Students can message parents to let them know they need help.
Benefits of Using SDA in Your Homeschool
Standard Deviants Accelerate provides great supplement to a homeschool curriculum. Here are a few I noticed:
- Provides independent instruction with a way to monitor your student’s progress
- Has automatic grading on quizzes
- Offers easy grading on other assignments with a rubric
- Allows you to choose individual courses from a selection
- Provides easy to follow video instruction with a written transcript to follow for multi-modal access to information
- Gives parents extra confidence in areas where a parent is unsure
- Ensures extra practice & preparation for AP tests
- Provides practice for students who need extra time and help with math
- Gives a homeschool mom some hands off time while her student watches high quality, relevant videos on a topic related to his studies. This is a big deal for those of us teaching multiple levels.
- Take instruction on the go– By using a fantastic mobile interface. With so many places our teens need to be, it’s great to be able to keep up & supplement with school work on the road. How to Homeschool with a Kindle gives more detail on using how we use a mobile device to help with learning.
SDA Online Learning Resource Available Courses
There are 14 courses currently available from SDA including:
- English Composition
- Fundamental Mathematics
- Earth Science
- U.S. History
Online AP Test Prep Offered by Standard Deviants Accelerate
Is your high school student preparing for AP exams? Using these e-courses as a prep course will improve student achievement.
- American Government & Politics
- English Language & Composition
- U.S. History
Using Standard Deviants Accelerate for a Homeschool Supplement
We’ve been enjoying the benefits of SDA in our homeschool in a few different ways. How would you use SDA with your curriculum?
- Preparation for Chemistry final– As our 11th grader finishes up his chemistry course, the chemistry class information in SDA has been helping to shore up some areas for him.
- Alternate instruction for earth science concepts– We’ve just started our year with earth science. It’s useful to supplement our text book with the reinforcing activities and the relevant videos.
- Extra math practice– For my 7th grader who needs extra time to reinforce concepts. He can practice on his own while I can be hands off.
What a deal! SDA is offering a free six month trial to ALL of the subjects if you sign up before November 15th.
SDA offers regular subscriptions at a monthly and annual rate for one teacher and one student. Find the one that fits your family’s needs.
- AP Prep Courses- $14.95 per month
- Individual Courses- $24.95 per month and $99 annually
Don’t forget to try out SDA by signing up for their free six month trial to any or many subjects by November 15th. See firsthand the advantage of using this online teaching resource for multiple subjects areas.
Standard Deviants Accelerate provides online resources for your middle & high school students. Do you find extra sources of instruction to be helpful? Sign up for the free trial today.