I have partnered with Great Homeschool Conventions to bring you news and announcements from throughout the year.
We are rounding the corner into the homeschool convention season and some of you may be wondering whether or not a convention fits into your homeschooling goals and plans. Having attended and spoken at many conventions, I’d like to share with you tips for using a homeschool convention as a place for professional development.
Tips for Attending a Homeschool Convention for Professional Development
One of the many reasons to participate in a homeschool convention is to use it as a time for professional development. After all, you are a full time teacher who needs some inservice time. Use it wisely! You can attend a homeschool convention to:
- Find Curriculum– Not only can you lay your hands on items you’ve been dying to see, but you can come across vendors with product you haven’t seen that will fill a need in your homeschool. Of course you have to be cautious about random purchases, but sometimes the perfect thing will be there when you need it.
- Be Encouraged– I love to attend just to hear some of my homeschooling mentors and heroes speak into my homeschooling life.
- Get Answers to Questions– About curriculum or a problem you are trying to address generally in your homeschool. Take a look at the speakers and sessions to see who and what topics will fill that need.
- Transition to a New Level– If you are going to be teaching middle or high school in the immediate or near future, conventions can help to unlock those secret planning doors and help you to see what’s ahead. There are always sessions on planning for the high school years. Take advantage of them.
- Get Help for Your Student’s Specific Needs– Many times speakers who address particular types of students or situations will give you a new perspective on your child’s issue. You might even get the chance to speak with someone directly who specializes in your situation.
- Refocus– Sometimes we need to redirect our energies or get a new perspective on our homeschooling in general. Certainly being among like-minded families and surrounded by the best of what homeschooling speakers and vendors have to offer will help you to readjust goals and reorient yourself to your homeschooling mission.
Do you have plans to attend a homeschool convention this season? I hope you will consider it the perfect time to engage in professional development.
Great Homeschool Conventions registration is open and they have three locations in South Carolina, California, and Ohio. With a cast of amazing speakers including Ben Carson, Steve Lambert, Matt Walsh, Heidi St. John, and Todd Wilson to name a few, there is sure to be the chance for encouragement and refocus. What an exciting place to be!
Still not sure? Join other bloggers from the iHomeschool Network for Tips & Reasons to attend a Homeschool Convention.