Shark Week is coming! I don’t know who made up Shark Week, but the hype is sorta fun and as a homeschool blogger it provides a fun set of topics. Shark Week has been moved to next week (the first week of July this year) to coincide with the release of the new Jaws movie. We’re about to be swept up into a wave of shark madness! Sharks also give me a fantastic excuse to bring alive my idea of Science Quests here at Blog, She wrote. The first stop is Science Quest: Shark Edition.
Sharks are a special sort of fish. Do your kids know how sharks are classified?
- What is the classification down to family?
- Research the animals closely related to sharks.
- How many species of sharks are there?
Biology of Sharks
Characteristics of fish and sharks
- How do sharks get oxygen?
- How is swimming related to the way sharks breathe?
- What is special about shark teeth?
- How are sharks designed to live in their habitat?
- What do sharks eat?
- Sharks are classified as a fish- what makes them different from other fish?
Habitat is the environmental and ecological area where an organism lives. It encompasses the biome and ecosystem and everything in them.
- Where do sharks live?
- Which zone to sharks thrive in?
- Do sharks live all over the world?
- If you wanted to catch a glimpse of a shark in its natural habitat, where is the best place to go?
You might want to research a particular species of shark. Find out all you can about it and share it with your family. We like to share findings at dinner time. Does your family have a special time to share research?
Shark Art with Sharks Video Art Course
Chalkpastel.com offers video art courses on many topics. You don’t want to miss the shark video course.
Nana tells stories as she teaches the art lessons. You get to feel like you are right there.
Shark art is a fabulous way to pass the hot summer days.
With cool ocean dwelling thoughts.
Perfect for a popsicle and watch!
Shark Week Resources
Sharks make a great summer unit study, don’t you think?
Shark Week at the Discovery Channel– Pretty sure these guys invented Shark Week. You will find shows and all sorts of shark information.
Sharks in the News– As it happens, NC has seen it’s sixth shark attack in a month. This is a great current event to discuss right now.
Enjoy a fun summer week
of shark lessons and art!