Books and a Big Idea: Summer Reads Edition!
This post contains an affiliate link to Chalk Pastels ebooks from Hodgepodge. There’s a new release and a special sale. Thanks for your support.
I’m excited about today’s link up post since I’m such a fan of children’s literature and a good unit study! We are sharing lots of books with craft & activity ideas. You don’t want to miss the fun!
I’m sharing ideas for three of our favorite summer time books- I couldn’t pick just one! Below you will find links to some fun activities we have done from the Blog, She Wrote archives along with matching chalk pastel tutorials.
Blueberry Fun with Blueberries for Sal
- Graph favorite blueberry desserts
- Learn all about bears
- Stamp blueberries with corks and stamp pads- click the link above to see how we did this one!
- Chalk some blueberries with Hodgepodge Mom
- Pick blueberries and made blueberry cobbler
- Make a blueberry pie! This is an easy peasy recipe with the crust made right in the pie pan.
One Morning in Maine
- Make clam chowder
- A Path to the Beach– the first chalk pastel tutorial from Hodgepodge Mom!
- My Blue Boat chalk tutorial– has a great little light house and boat similar to the one in the story
- Make a tooth keeper for under the pillow- the main character in this book has lost her first tooth
Night of the Moonjellies
- Make jellies with play foam (or model magic or any fun modeling compound purchased or homemade).
- Make your own cafe menu and host a cafe!
- At the Beach- chalk pastel tutorial from Hodgepodge Mom!
- Beach Umbrellas– another chalk pastel tutorial
Don’t forget that just reading to your children is always great fun and it is a sure cure for the grumpies at our house- whether they are young or old! So, don’t worry if you don’t have the activity bug. Just read!
Another tip: these activities don’t always have to be totally prescribed. Part of the summer fun is just letting kids choose how to play. Consider letting your children enjoy these activities on their own or choose to let them try a recipe on their own with only the necessary supervision. Make the materials available and see what your kids come up with!
Join other iHomeschool Network bloggers for more Books & a Big Idea. This is great fun with children’s books!
Southern Hodgepodge is holding a flash sale on the new Chalk Pastels through the Seasons for $5.99 (regularly $7.99) and The Chalk Pastel Bundle- both ebooks for $19.99 (regularly $24.99). The sale ends Tuesday, July 9th at midnight EDT.
I love all these projects (FIAR is just great isn’t it?) I especially LOVE your blueberry! Beautiful blue!
Thanks Tricia! I go in for those deep blue blueberries! We love FIAR. Many happy memories!
Comments are closed.