Geography Quest Volcano Edition
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
Volcanoes are exciting!
We can approach the topic from an earth science perspective or a geography perspective.
Today, our Geography Quest will take us on an exploration of volcanoes around the world.
Welcome to Geography Quest Volcano Edition.
Explore the Volcano Monitoring Systems
- Interactive Map of Volcanoes & Current Volcanic Activity Alerts– from the American Geosciences Institute
- Which Volcanoes Are Erupting Right Now– from Volcano Discovery
- USGS Volcanic Hazards Program– find news and information on volcanic activity and volcanoes.
- Alaska Volcano Observatory– all information, news, monitoring, etc of Alaska volcanoes
Map Active Volcanoes
Or you can choose another criteria for mapping volcanoes like
Use a map of the world and label the map as follows:
- Label the oceans- to get a frame of reference. I chose to print a world map with a Pacific Ocean center.
- Place a colored dot on ten active volcanoes.
- Label the country the volcanoes are in
- Circle the volcano closet to your home
- Put a square around the volcano furthest away
- Discuss if you see a trend on where volcanoes are clustered the most.
Volcanoes in the News
You can find active volcanoes almost any time you look.
Try searching on active volcanoes with the date
and see what turns up.
I was able to learn about a volcano near Tokyo which is spewing ash.
Below are some articles about volcanoes
and a site to learn about recent activity.
- Karmynsky Volcano– is spewing ash today.
- Mount St. Helen’s Still Highly Dangerous– It’s been nearly 40 years since this volcano erupted in 1980.
- Live Science: Volcanoes– articles on volcanic activity
What else would you like to know about volcanoes?
Make a list of your questions and
start your own adventure!
Subscribe for a Free Geography Printable
When you subscribe, you’ll get this free printable travel guide to go with your Geography Quest studies.
Plus, you’ll get extra support for homeschooling high school. Woot!