Autumn Book & a Big Idea: The Pumpkin Book
art | life science | nature study | science | unit studies
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
Today I’m joining the iHomeschool Network in a new blog hop on autumn themed books with some big ideas. I’ve chosen one of my favorite autumn books, The Pumpkin Book by Gail Gibbons.
Autumn & Pumpkin Resources
- Autumn Book List– from a past post a great book list for elementary aged kids on fall and pumpkins.
- Mini Fall Unit: Leaves & Pumpkins– this is a post from my first year of blogging in 2007. What a fun find as I chose content for this post! You’ll find an autumn book list along with a list of activities we did that year. Pardon the old time formatting that goes with a blog post from 6 years ago.
- Pumpkin Unit– with the book Pumpkin Jack. I loved this unit from Homeschool Share. I especially love the science of measuring and weighing the pumpkins.
The Pumpkin Book as a Resource to Learn about Pumpkins
- Shares the story of a pumpkin from seed to pumpkin
- Shows different varieties of pumpkins – all shapes and sizes
- Tells the story of where Jack-o-Lanterns came from
- Reviews the history of pumpkins and how the Native Americans used them- particularly in agriculture.
- Detailed illustrations to enjoy as you read the book
Autumn Art Ideas with Pumpkins
- Pumpkins & Apples with Chalk Pastels– our first attempt at chalk art with Tricia and Nana at Hodgepodge.
- More Fun with Chalk Pastels– this was the second time we tried the same art project with the apples and pumpkins. This one is really satisfying!
Enjoy your own set of tutorials, including videos on chalk pastels. In addition to the fall projects, Hodgepodge has released the new Christmas chalk pastels ebook. I can hardly wait to share these projects with you. You can purchase your own fall chalk pastels for $3.95 or the Christmas book for $4.99. The seasonal bundle is only $12.99.