Raise your hand if your teen wants to take Calculus in high school! Homeschooling high school math keeps you on your toes and if your teen needs or wants to take Calculus, that is a significant leveling up for homeschool moms. We’ve used CTC Math for years for various needs with our teens, whether it’s getting confident or using the flexibility to homeschool neurodivergent and sick teens. Homeschooling High School Math with an Online Calculus Curriculum is a look at using CTCMath Homeschool Math Membership to teach Calculus at home.
Disclosure: I was given access to CTC Math Homeschool Membership and I was paid for my time in writing this review. All opinions are my own and I was not required to give a positive review.
We’ve graduated three of our four homeschoolers and of the four, three of them have taken, or are taking Calculus.
Of those three Calculus students, only one will study a STEM field beyond high school. The first two Calculus students, who were our first two graduates, studied Professional Writing and Fashion Design.
Calculus is not for the faint of heart. I took it during a summer session in college in like 3 weeks. It’s a blur!
I can’t imagine a world without Calculus. – Joshua
CTCMath Provides Online Math Instruction
We’ve been using CTC Math in one way or another for years.
Here’s a quick run down of what you’ll find inside the program:
- Concepts by grade, subject, and concept with individual topics listed out– these are easy to search and assign to your student
- Instructional videos– to watch for every lesson
- Examples with solutions– easily accessible by parents but not by the student
- Practice sets with many problems– both during the lesson and afterward for practice
- Use for a stand alone curriculum or as reinforcement for another – I had one teen who used CTC Math as his primary resource for math and our youngest, who uses it when he gets stuck in his primary math program (Life of Fred Calculus).
It takes no time at all to get up and running.
If your math needs a rescue any time of year, you won’t lose any time getting oriented.
Take a Tour of CTCMath Homeschool Membership
Watch the video for a firsthand look at how the CTCMath interface looks for you as a homeschool mom. It’ll give you more insight into how we use it and you’ll see how I choose the assignments.
Benefits of Using CTCMath Homeschool Membership for Calculus
CTCMatch Homeschool Membership helps my neurodivergent students when they are able to work. My current student is autistic with pathological demand avoidance, so we take it day by day. Having something flexible that meets our needs is important.
- Self paced instruction– work when you can and it’s waiting when you get back to it
- Due dates can be adjusted– from the parent section
- Choose not to use the tracking– this way poor grades aren’t piling up when they fall behind
- Repeating lessons is easy– your student can watch videos as many times as they need to
- Easy to see where you’ve left off– should your student be unable to work on math for a time
- Solutions are provided– feedback is quick and your student can do it
- Video instruction is easy to follow– step by step tutorials for problem solving
- Allows your student to be independent– this is especially true for older children and teens as they begin managing more of their own work which gets tricky when they are neurodivergent. It makes it easy for your student to ease into independence.
The threshold is low for finding where you left off and getting extra support for math work as needed.
CTCMath Homeschool Membership is a great solution for teens who need a flexible system.
CTCMath Homeschool Membership includes self-paced Calculus instruction for college bound homeschoolers.
Using CTCMath for Help with High School Calculus
One of the ways we’ve used CTCMath is to take a time out from the intensity of Life of Fred, while still being able to move forward through Calculus. It can help with any high school math class, or any math class at all.
Why use CTCMath with Life of Fred?
- review concepts
- approach a concept in a different way
- practice with a larger problem set
- work with less intense problems
- accommodate for neurodivergence
Using both makes it easier to stay on track when my ADHD PDAer (Pathological Demand Avoidance) needs to step back on the work.
Calculus is non-negotiable for competitive schools and STEM programs.
However, the demands on a neurodivergent teen can mean burnout.
Using both reduces anxiety.
get rid of math anxiety
with CTCMath Homeschool Membership
Math anxiety comes in many forms whether it’s a lack of confidence, a lack of endurance, or a lack of perseverance.
Homeschool Discount with CTC Math
One of the best parts about using CTCMath is the cost.
CTC Math is an economical way to introduce online math instruction and practice for the whole family.
An annual subscription to CTC Math includes unlimited access to all lessons, at all grade levels from Kindergarten to Calculus.
- Discount price of a family membership to CTC Math
- Half off renewals for returning families
- Free trial so you can try it before purchasing a subscription
Take advantage of the free trial of CTCMath Homeschool Membership.
Get More Help for Your Out of the Box Teen
Download Your Free Guide
Click and sign up to get this free guide to accommodating your high schooler’s ADHD. Download the guide and start using them right away. It’s easy!