It’s time for putting together your homeschooling high school plan. Will you include a fine art? Even if your state doesn’t require it, fine arts round out a high schooler’s four year plan well. How to Earn High School Fine Art Credit with Masterpiece Society talks about what fine art looks like in the high school years and features The Masterpiece Society membership as a way to fulfill that credit requirement.
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
We’ve been using the art instruction materials from The Masterpiece Society for over 8 years!
When they added the Art School courses to their line up, I knew we could use them for high school visual art credit.
Fine Art High School Credit
Does your teen study fine art in high school?
Some areas require it and others do not.
Well rounded-ness is a highly sought after commodity in the college admission world.
Does your student take time to be creative?
You can achieve fine art credits through:
- music theory and learning and instrument
- voice-lessons and performance
- graphic arts- computer graphics
- digital art- like pixel art
- visual art- through other media like sculpture, paints, pencils, etc
Today, we’ll dig a little deeper into a resource for visual art.
Visual Art Credit in High School
Our daughter had 5 credits of visual art on her high school transcript in addition to her 5 credits of sewing and design.
Largely these visual art courses were based on resources we put together.
Rebecca learns best when she is in charge of her learning.
So, any outsourcing we do is with this in mind.
Here’s a brief look at some of the criteria we used to make up her course:
- Improve techniques
- Learn new techniques
- Practice both new and old skills
- Apply skills to projects
Benefits of a Masterpiece Society Membership
The courses inside The Masterpiece Society help us to achieve our visual art goals in high school.
Take a look at the library of courses:
- Mixed Media for all Seasons– a chance to work with inspiring projects based on seasonal aesthetics
- Art School 101– full courses on technique and theory in the areas of Drawing, Watercolor, Acrylics & Oils, and Pastels. This is where the meat of the high school instruction is. You start with Drawing 101 as a foundation before painting in other media.
- Mixing with the Masters– a series of courses on copying the great artists in many time periods and styles. Honestly, these might be my favorite behind Drawing 101, but I’m looking forward to Watercolor 101 as well.
- Masterpiece Moms– which include lessons and virtual paint parties for moms and teens. So much to enjoy!
- LiterARTure Lessons– that combine art with literature. So inspiring even for middle grade novels and up.
- Art Appreciation– rotating resources for studying artists. You can download these to use later before they rotate out.
These are just the courses for teens. If you have younger children who haven’t arrived at high school yet, there is a whole set of resources for them along with an earlier start on mixed media.
Learn the Best Way to Work with Creative Teens
It took me a while to figure out how to help a creative teen thrive.
I want to help you avoid my initial mistakes.
Will you join me?
You’ll get support for homeschooling creative teens through weekly challenges and lots of resources and ideas!
More about Homeschooling High School Fine Art
Teaching creative teens is a BIG part of what we do!
Enjoy some other posts on homeschooling high school with creative teens.
- Scheduling Time for Creative Pursuits– how to fit creative time into a busy school schedule
- How to Apply for Art & Design School– the introduction to portfolio work and how to use it for college admission
- Homeschooling High School by Design– planning the high school years with your teen.
- Homeschooling for College by Design– all the ins and outs of preparing for college admission, including details on how to put the portfolio together like portfolio photography, etc. This course includes a transcript builder which customized an official transcript for you.
Homeschooling High School by Design Membership
What if you could have a mentor to hold your hand through the high school years?
We’re talking about the works:
- Helping your teen to learn what makes their heart sing, so they can achieve big goals related to their biggest dreams
- Planning a unique high school program WITH your teen, so you stay on track with just what your teen requires
- Preparing your teen for college admission, so they enter confidently their top pick when the time comes
Homeschooling High School by Design Membership does all these things through two live calls a month and a private Facebook community along with access to all three full homeschooling high school courses.