Homeschooling the Fifth Year of High School
Homeschooling High School sometimes takes unexpected turns or maybe you know some curve balls are headed your way and you want to prepare ahead of time. You might be thinking that an extra year of high school is what your teen needs. Homeschooling the Fifth Year of High School is a look at why a 5th year might be a good idea and how it might look in your homeschool.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
When people learn that we’ve done a 5th year with some of our high schoolers, they want to hear more.
How about you?
My guess is if you clicked to read this pot, there’s a reason you are considering a 5th year for your high schooler, but you have a ton of questions.
I’ve got answers!
PS- Our oldest had a 5th year and still achieved a large scholarship to his favorite school. So, before you begin, take a moment to relax. It’s going to be ok!
Learning Experiences for the 5th Year of High School
The purpose for your teen’s 5th year will set the tone for what happens that year.
Pro Tip: Your teen must be fully on board with a potential 5th year of high school. Do not attempt extra time in high school if compliance will be difficult.
What are some things your teen could do?
- Take online classes
- Earn dual enrollment credits
- Participate in internships
- Concentrate on healing
- Work on getting stronger
- Complete outstanding work
- Design and implement project time
- Add to his high school reading list
- Shore up skills
Since a 5th year of high school is not typical, there will be a compelling reason for doing it. That reason is going to shape the direction the extra year will take.
Goal Conquering for Homeschooling High School
A lot of parents tell me that their teens are still struggling with what they want to do after high school.
We are all about that!
Leaving time for our kids and teens to dream and experiment with what they love is a priority in our homeschool.
Dream Big & Take Action: Goal Conquering for Teens teaches you how to do what we do.
You’ll learn the process of mentoring your teen to dream and achieve the small goals to reach the big goal.
Then you’ll mentor your teens through the process.
Then put those skills on repeat.
The course is on special for $27 (regularly $47), so grab it up now and use it to help plan that 5th year WITH your teen!
Learn More about the 5th Year of High School
If you are considering a 5th year of high school for your teen, you’ll want to know more about what it means in every way.
- What is a 5th year of high school?
- Is my teen a good candidate for a 5th year?
- Why would you choose a 5th year?
- What’s the difference between a 5th year of high school and a gap year?
- How do I record a 5th year on my high schooler’s transcript?
- What can you do with a 5th year?
Not every student is a good fit for a 5th year of high school, even if you think they are!
Also keep in mind that as parents we sometimes don’t give our teens credit for what they really can do.
You’ll find answers to all of these questions in the webinar called, The 5th Year of High School.
Read on to see how you can get the link to the webinar!
If you subscribe, you can get the link to an hour long webinar all about homeschooling the 5th year of high school.
This the chance to hear our story and how the 5th year has worked for our family.
Plus, you’ll get more support for homeschooling high school.
Other Resources on Homeschooling High School
- Homeschooling Teens Who Have a Chronic Illness– it’s not the same as homeschooling healthy teens. What do you do when your teen is too sick to do school?
- Strategies for Scheduling High School– this is a post on how to tell if your teen’s high school schedule is sustainable and what to do if it’s not.
- 100 Awesome Educational Videos for Homeschooling High School– the big list that will help you supplement your teen’s education when they are overwhelmed.
Homeschooling High School by Design
I LOVE to teach parents about ways to design and implement a high school program that is perfectly customized for your teen!
You can do that in several ways:
- Homeschooling High School by Design– the full course on planning the framework of homeschooling high school WITH your teen and all the ways to meet your teen’s needs in high school.
- Homeschooling for College by Design– how to take your customized high school and package it for a successful college admission. We’ve done it! And so can you!
- Homeschooling High School by Design Regular Membership– learn about how to navigate the high school years with both full courses and a bonus Goal Conquering course along with having me as a guide and a lovely community of homeschooling moms as your companions.
- Homeschooling High School by Design Chronic Illness Membership– if you are seeking information about a 5th year of high school, you might benefit from regular support for you as you work with a sick or differently abled teen. Join today!
I would love to help you navigate homeschooling with a teen who struggling.
Let me know how I can help!