How to Build a Simple EV3 Robot
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
Any time is a good time for a Mindstorms EV3 Robot build and Learning with LEGO Mindstorms. Engaging in robotics is a great way to incorporate several areas of STEM learning.
Mindstorms EV3 involves
and problem solving.
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.– Albert Einstein
How to Build a Simple Mindstorms EV3 Robot includes build directions and a program.
Let’s get started!
Purpose of Building an EV3 Robot
In this lesson we’ll:
- Build a robot using LEGO Technic pieces and the EV3 brick computer
- Download a program to make the robot drive.
- Experiment making your own programs using the EV3 software.
In future activities, we’ll add on some more learning with LEGO programming, robot characterizing, and we’ll talk more about what makes a good Mindstorms robot.
In order for your robot to perform heavy lifting type task, you need to have a sturdy frame.
This robot was designed and built by our 16yo and the program was written by our 13yo.
Materials Needed for Building an EV3 Robot
Gather the following items from your Mindstorms kit and get ready for a fun build!
- LEGO Mindstorms EV3 Kit– we’re using the home kit version in our build.
- EV3 Software– free download from the LEGO website
- Technic Parts– if you want to add your own elements you certainly can and you can add parts not found in the kit. This robot was built with just the home kit pieces.
EV3 Robot Build Instructions
We’ve designed the building instructions to work like a LEGO instruction booklet with pictures only.
See if you can follow along!
Programming Your Mindstorms EV3 Robot
The LEGO programming language is drag and drop style.
There are two programs in the download. One drives the robot forward and backward. The other drives the robot in a circle.
Download the program and then use it to create the same program with your own LEGO EV3 software.
This lesson includes a couple of simple programs, so you can get your robot moving.
We’ll talk more about creating programs in another lesson, but feel free to try and change these programs and try your own.
Explore more robot programming by trial and error and see how the robot behaves.
More LEGO Mindstorms Posts
Our family has been a LEGO Mindstorms family for a long time. Enjoy more resources and activities using these accessible robotics kits.
- Learning with LEGO Mindstorms– the landing hub for all Mindstorms activities and resources
- Home Kit vs Education Kit– which Mindstorms kit is right for your family. We’ve got a run down of the differences.
- Benefits of Using LEGO Mindstorms in Your Homeschool– We love this robotics set. See why it’s an important STEM tool in our homeschool.
- Resources for Teaching with LEGO Mindstorms– Some of our favorite resources that go along with our sets.
- How to Make a Marble Speed Trap with LEGO Mindstorms– a lesson on using the EV3 to find the velocity of a marble moving on a track
Subscribe for more STEM Activities for Teens
Invest in your student’s STEM learning.